Riyadh submits letter to UN Security Council denouncing Iran and Houthis

Posted on Thursday, 16th May 2019 @ 04:33 AM by Text Size A | A | A

Spread the love

Saudi Arabia submitted on Wednesday a letter to the United Nations Security Council, in which it held Iran and the Yemeni Houthi group responsible for targeting their oil facilities on Tuesday.

The letter was handed over by the Permanent Representative of Saudi Arabia to the United Nations, Abdallah Al-Mouallimi, according to Saudi TV channel Al Arabiya.

The letter included “Saudi Arabia’s holding of Iran and the Houthi militias it supports fully responsible for Tuesday’s attack on the kingdom’s oil facilities.”

According to the same source, a joint message was sent from Saudi Arabia and the UAE to the UN Security Council and UN Secretary-General António Guterres, on the attack and sabotage operation that occurred last Sunday against four ships in the international sea off the UAE’s territorial sea and coasts.

On Tuesday, Saudi Arabia announced that bombed drones attacked two oil-pumping stations from the Eastern Province fields to Yanbu Commercial Port on the western coast by the Houthi group.

The attack came hours after the Houthis announced the launch of seven drones, and the carrying out of attacks on vital Saudi facilities, according to the group’s TV channel Al Masirah.

On Monday, Riyadh announced that two Saudi carriers had been hit by a sabotage attack on their way to cross the Persian Gulf near the UAE’s territorial sea.

Riyadh’s announcement came after the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement, in which it said that four merchant ships of several nationalities (not identified), were subjected to sabotage operations near the territorial sea on the way to the Port of Fujairah.

Earlier this week, the United States announced the deployment of an aircraft carrier and strategic bombers in the Middle East, after “indicators of a real threat from the Iranian regime.”

The Strait of Hormuz, the primary energy transport waterway in the world, witnessed a war of statements between Tehran and the Gulf States after Iran’s threat to close it in response to a US move to reduce Tehran’s oil exports to “zero”.

Related Articles:

Helicopters ferried US staff from the American embassy in Baghdad on Wednesday out of apparent concern about perceived threats from Iran, which US sources believe encouraged Sunday’s attacks on four oil tankers in the Gulf, Reuters reports. The sabotage of the tankers, for which no one has claimed responsibility, and Saudi Arabia’s announcement on Tuesday that armed drones hit two of its oil pumping stations have raised concerns Washington and Tehran may be inching toward conflict. A US government source said American security experts believe Iran gave its “blessing” to tanker attacks, which hit two Saudi crude oil tankers, a UAE-flagged fuel bunker barge and a Norwegian-registered oil products tanker off Fujeirah near the Strait of Hormuz.

A Reuters story published on Tuesday mentions the next false flag incident to move the war against Iran forward.  Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s surprise visit to Baghdad this month came after U.S. intelligence showed Iran-backed Shi’ite militias positioning rockets near bases housing U.S. forces, according to two Iraqi security sources.

At a meeting of President Trump’s top national security aides last Thursday, Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan presented an updated military plan that envisions sending as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East should Iran attack American forces or accelerate work on nuclear weapons, administration officials said.

Related News On HuffPo Club www.hpub.org:

Disqus Comments

Specify a Disqus shortname at Social Comments options page in admin panel

Facebook Comments

G+ Comments

Default Comments